Short answer -- Quiz on readings chapters 8-9: God Bless You Mr. Rosewater.
Field trip tomorrow: Adler Planetarium and Contemporary Museum of Art.
Auto-didactic Journal # 4 is due tomorrow. Bring journal with you on the field trip.
lecture: "utopian ideal" - solve problems that exist due to money, religion, government (Marx &Engel)
- due to oppressors - we must get rid of money, government, and religion. Other oppressive pieces in society -- Marriage , education, eternal truths
- Bourgousie = oppressors who are profiting from working class
- Proletariat = working people; oppressed class
- Need violent revolution to do away with Bourgousie
- It sounds nice, but we just have to kill many people first
"I think it's terrible the way people don't share things in this country. I think it's a heartless government that will let one baby be born owning a big piece of the country, the way I was born, and let another baby be born without owning anything. The least a government could do, it seems to me, is to divide things up fairly among the babies (121)".
Discussion: Do you think it's ethical for northshore residents to buy/live in large $3 million dollar mansions? Is a luxurious lifestyle ethical? Why or Why not?